Attorney Erika A. Riggs graduated from Wayne State University where she earned her bachelor’s and law degree. During law school, Erika devoted her free time to public service, education and mentorship. She co-founded a non-profit, The 313 Project, providing scholarships for at-risk youth, pro-bono legal advice as well as volunteer work in Detroit. She also served as a senior note and comment editor of the Wayne Law Review, property law teaching assistant, and small claims court mediator.
Since receiving her law degree, Mrs. Riggs has strictly specialized in assisting the disabled before the Social Security Administration and the VA. Erika can regularly be found in her community engaging non-profits and volunteering at community events. Her compassion and commitment to under-served populations are as notable as her skilled and unique legal arguments. Mrs. Riggs received the inaugural Crain’s Detroit Business ‘Notable Women Lawyers’ award in 2017, Avvo’s Client Choice award for the fifth consecutive year, and the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Rising Star award by Super Lawyers (extended to less than 2.5% of attorneys practicing in Michigan).
Erika is conversational in Spanish and is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, Macomb County Bar Association, National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives, and National Organization of Veterans’ Advocates. Notably, she is also a committee member of the State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section. She is accredited to practice before the Department of Veterans Affairs. Her office is commonly referred to as the ‘chocolate factory’ – a title she takes quite seriously, and she loves spending time with her family – traveling, martial arts, hiking and painting.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018-2021
- Avvo Client Choice Award 2015 – 2021
- 2018 State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section Regeana Myrick Outstanding Young Lawyer Award Finalist
- Crains Detroit Notable Women in the Law Award 2017
Civic and Community Engagement
- Michigan State Bar, Young Lawyers Section, Council Member, 2019 – 2021
- Southwest Solutions Economic Solutions, Board Member
- Free Legal Aid and Community Resource Fair, Disability Law Group, 2019
Publications and Presentations
- Social Security Disability Hearings: Practice Tips and Strategic Guides, ProLaw CLE