One of the hard truths about Social Security disability benefits is that most first-time applications are denied. However, not all denials are based on substantive issues, such as an individual’s disability and income. Rather, many denials are due to factors that are entirely within most applicants’ control – meaning something that could be avoided with the right knowledge. Therefore, whether you intend to apply for Social Security disability benefits or have already applied and received a denial, please review the information below and contact one of our experienced Michigan disability law attorneys as soon as possible to discuss your case.
Common reasons for denials
Social Security disability claims are denied for a variety of reasons. For example, an applicant may have his or her claim declined if certain deadlines are missed. In addition, if an item on a person’s application is unclear or missing certain required information, this can result in a denial. Additional reasons that Social Security claims are denied include:
- Failure to provide appropriate medical evidence
- Failure to fully complete paperwork
- The inability of the Social Security Administration to contact the applicant due to inaccurate contact information
- The claim is related to alcohol or drug abuse
- The disability isn’t severe enough to warrant benefits.
- The disability isn’t long-lasting enough to warrant benefits
- The applicant makes too much money
- Failure to follow a medical treatment plan
- Failure to cooperate with the Social Security Administration
- Previous denials
What can I do if I’ve been denied social security disability benefits?
If you’ve had your Social Security disability benefits claim denied, you should:
- Appeal the decision with the assistance of a Michigan disability law attorney before the deadline lapses.
- Be sure to provide complete information and details regarding your situation, including your medical information, work history, physical limitations, and the impact of your disability on your work performance
- Don’t give up hope!
Let our Michigan disability law attorneys help you
If you suffer from a medical condition that limits your ability to work, you may be entitled to disability benefits. However, the application process is difficult, and people often make mistakes resulting in denial. Therefore, if you would like to receive disability benefits, or if you have been denied benefits that you are entitled to, the skilled disability law attorneys at Disability Law Group are here to help.
At Disability Law Group, our experienced disability law attorneys will assist you with every step of the Social Security disability benefits process, from filing the initial application to appealing any denials in court, if necessary. If you reside in Macomb County, Oakland County, Wayne County, or elsewhere in Michigan and would like to apply for disability benefits or fight a denial, Disability Law Group is on your side. Remember, at Disability Law Group, disability is all we do. Please contact us as soon as possible for a free consultation.